Re: Why are we here? What are our goals?

2004-02-01 16:56:00

What I DON'T want is to receive bounces for all those messages
that are really spam and used a fake return address.

I'm a big fan of lightweight bounces, and talked about this in a
longish post earlier this past week.

Essentially, your MTA/MUA should receive little more than a UDP packet
notifying it of delivery status of a message; that packet should
contain little more than a Unique Transmission ID (UTID) provided by
your MTA/MUA when it first transmitted your message; and if your
MTA/MUA doesn't recognize that UTID as pertaining to a transmission it
actually made on your behalf, you won't ever see it.

--
James Craig Burley
Software Craftsperson