Re: user-visible goals

2004-02-02 03:56:56

At 04:34 02/02/2004, Doug Royer wrote:

- Some users want to check if message would be delivered, such as if email
  address exists at all and if they want to accept such message even before
  attepting to send the message

bounces are a whole area to be deciphered. Return receipts are a potential privacy concern --- there should be a mechanism to request one, but the receiver should have final say on whether it's returned or not.

And it sounds like it would be spammers heaven to test email addresses before sending.
That is why most of us turn off SMTP's VRFY and EXPN.

But then, OTOH, if I could test that the sender's email address was valid and the one they were assigned by their provider, it'd be harder for spammers - they can't fake addresses any more, and so I can filter on it reliably.

Paul                            VPOP3 - Internet Email Server/Gateway
support(_at_)pscs(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk                     http://www.pscs.co.uk/