Re-merging headers (was: Re: Use of XML as a basis for e-mail)

2004-02-03 12:40:11

At 02:21 04/02/03 -0500, Hector Santos wrote:

This in-directly brings up an issue of the "message-id",  its purpose.

Once upon a time, an "other network" going thru the same process of coming
up with the "ng" system,   a major debate developed over the interpretation
and purpose of the message-id:.   Is it for tracing or for dupe processing?
or both?

This brings me to an idea I had some time ago:

I would like to be able to merge the headers of a message that I got
over two or more ways back together. As an example, I get a message
personally from one of you but also over the mailing list. I would
like my procmail not just to eliminate one of them (the one that
arrives later, or whatever that would be), but to combine the headers
of these two mails back together so that I have all info about how
the mail reached me in one place. Of course this is only possible
with a structured header format.

More along these lines would be headers that allow to add comments
to a message, or to overwrite things such as the subject without
destroying the original subject, and so on.

Regards,    Martin.