Re: No misdirected 'vacation' messages

2004-02-05 13:22:50

At 08:26 04/02/05 -0800, william(_at_)elan(_dot_)net wrote:

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, Martin Duerst wrote:

> - Users want both their and other people's absence/vacation messages
>    to go to the right place (e.g. original sender of a mail rather than
>    a whole mailing list).

This is too specific for user goals.

Why? It may be a minor goal, but I don't see why this can't be listed.

However

 - Users want to be able to specify (in standard way) information about
temporary and/or permanent changes to their email configuration and
timeframe for these changes

This only speaks about the user who is on vacation. I was also
speaking about other users, in particular those that send mail
to users on vacation, or those that send mail to mailing lists
with users on vacation.

Regards,   Martin.

This includes vacation messages with ability to specify when email needs
to be resend and email system could then do it automaticly then if user
allows it and if its within timeframe for delivery of that mail.

Also if you change email, it would be nice if your old provider could
provide standard service to redirect to new email address. Then special
reply would be send and email could redelivered (I see it as special answer
during MAIL session transmission - i.e. actual email is not even sent to
the other end and there is no need for that end to try to forward it
which puts primary task on that forwarding server which is why many ISPs
choose to not forward emails for users that quit - its somewhat resource
consuming for them). Additionally it would allow for automated changed to
address book in case of changes to email address of your friends, etc.

Additionally this can accomplish other changes such as that when mailbox
is almost full, the error reported could be that temporarily messages of
large size would not be accepted (and time specified is when some cleanup
program would run on the server). Knowing timeframe when the redelivery
should be attempted saves resources and extra connections in situations
like that.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks