Re: list of user-visible goals

2004-02-05 14:47:51

Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

- user don't want copies of stuff that's already sitting elsewhere to
be added to their mail copy store

I think this may be too limited.  I think "want control" over whether it is
added to their mail store is closer.  There are folks who for legal reasons
will want to retain everything where they know it can't be wiped out by some
decision over which they don't have control.

- users want to be notified *immediately* when they have new mail
without having to activily check for it continously

Maybe some of you do, but I've found once an hour works for me.  Should this be
restated as
- users want to be able to control how quickly they are notified about new mail.
- users may want to be notified with different delay periods depending on the
source of new mail.
- users may want to be notified by different means depending on the source of
new mail.

This last one comes from email sending monitors on our systems.  Some systems I
want to stay as email.  Some I want to copy to my pager.

--
John Wagner