RE: list of user-visible goals

2004-02-06 13:51:10

Arnt, you and Hadmut could be right about this. Perhaps the requirement
is that the medium is secure, reliable, trustworthy etc.

However I wonder if there may be a need for security grades of sorts to
create the level of trust necessary for "email" to be used as a message
system for secure financial transactions - I wouldn't like to use sight
of that purpose for email in defining requirements.

Ian Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-mail-ng(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org
[mailto:owner-mail-ng(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org]
On
Behalf Of Arnt Gulbrandsen
Sent: Friday, 6 February 2004 8:07 PM
To: Ian Peter
Cc: Hadmut Danisch; mail-ng(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: list of user-visible goals

Ian Peter writes about payment via email:
I think it needs to be addressed by the "email" mechanism, because
if
the medium is unsecure, unreliable, untrustworthy, can make false
address claims, or be redirected to somewhere I don't intend it to
go
(to give a few examples) email cannot be readily used for secure
purposes.

Right. But there's nothing special about that particular purpose, is
there? All of these four would seem to be equivalent wrt. your
paragraph:

  - writing a love letter to someone other than my wife
  - applying from a new job using my current employer's email system
  - sending a contract to be printed, signed and returned
  - paying powells.com for a couple of books

Arnt