Another User Requirement Consider: Dates

2004-02-07 21:56:25

Background:

The popular Microsoft Outlook will use the (top) Received: line date for the
MUA's Date Received:  column and it will use the email header Date: header
for the "Date Sent:" column.

The issue is that it could be the date that it was received by the mail
server.

So........................

User Ergonomic issue:

- Users would like to know when the message was received by the MUA relative
to the user, not the relative date received by the mail server.

What this might mean is the mail-ng mail pickup logic may need to add
another Received line indicating when it was picked up by the MUA or the
mail-ng compliant MUA need to be aware that the received line make not
accurately reflect when the MUA received the mail thus address its own
"received:" header or records this pickup date in its client-side mail
database.

This is something we optional offer now in our POP3 server to better support
this "user desire" and I just recalled this that it was a big discussion
item.

So from a mail-ng system standpoint:

- System should support two dates besides the message date itself;  the date
as received by the server and the date received to the user.

Comments?

http://www.santronics.com