Re: Email or Something Else

2004-02-21 12:16:06

"Bonatti, Chris" <BonattiC(_at_)ieca(_dot_)com> writes:
"wish list" seems to have more than one concentration of mass.
Perhaps it needs to coalesce into two or more planets instead of
just one.  This too, it would seem to me, would be a viable
conclusion in the end... especially if the two or three planets knew
how to cooperate according to a common framework.

We shouldn't ignore the possibility that that might be so.

However, like (I'm guessing) most of us, I'm keeping the bones of a
proposed protocol in my head while thinking about these goals and how
to weigh them up.  By that yardstick, I don't yet see the need for
more than one protocol - I think we can capture everything from
IM-style conversations to slow turnaround sending of huge files in a
single protocol.

I think it's time to move on from design goals and start discussing
broad architectural features.  Not nitpicky stuff like wire formats,
but big stuff like routing and reliability.  List owner, what do you
think?
--
  __  Paul Crowley
\/ o\ sig(_at_)paul(_dot_)ciphergoth(_dot_)org