Re: Email or Something Else

2004-02-21 15:39:47

Its called "Functional Requirements" vs. "Technical Requirements"

http://www.santronics.com

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hadmut Danisch" <hadmut(_at_)danisch(_dot_)de>
To: "Keith Moore" <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu>
Cc: "David W Morgan" <dwmorgan(_at_)ntlworld(_dot_)com>;
<mail-ng(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org>
Sent: Saturday, February 21, 2004 10:37 AM
Subject: Re: Email or Something Else

On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 10:25:38AM -0500, Keith Moore wrote:
ambitious, or too peripheral.   However by grouping the wishes together
to see how they apparently conflict we might be able to take a first
stab at writing "design goals" that try to capture the kinds of
compromise that seem appropriate.  (I still hesitate to use the word
"requirements" because I've too often seen that word be a hinderance to
that kind of compromise.)

"Design goals" is a very good wording. If we find "requirements",
everyone else will argue to have different "requirements" or that
our "requirements" were wrong. In contrast, "design goals" are "our"
goals and that's what we would use to design a protocol. Much less
potential of conflict with other opinions. Much better. So let's use
"design goals" instead of "requirements".

regards
Hadmut