Re: [mail-vet-discuss] Auth-Results issue #4 method=value values

2006-04-19 14:44:20
Tony Hansen wrote:
These comments are about the values specified for the method=value:
pass, fail, softfail, neutral, temperror and permerror.

First pass:
        sending domain publishes an authentication policy of some kind,
        and the message passed the authentication tests

Why is a policy being required? Not all methods have policies, and some
methods can be used without a published policy.

The policy may not be explicit. For example, a DKIM-signed message which fails will generate a policy query, and DKIM specifies a default to assert if none is found. That's what I meant by "of some kind".

Instead say something like

        The message passed the authentication tests. (This may require
        accessing an authentication policy of some kind published by the
        sending domain.)

Works for me.

The same comments go for fail:
> [...]

Works for me.

The other value definitions are different, but need to recognize that
not all authentication methods require policies. I'd suggest this rewording:
    softfail
        The authentication method requires a policy to be accessed, but
        the policy does not require authentication of all messages from
        that domain, and the message failed the authentication tests

How about:

        The authentication method has either an explicit (i.e. published
        by the sending domain) or implicit policy, but the policy being
        used doesn't require successful authentication of all messages
        from that domain, and the message failed the authentication tests.

    neutral
        The authentication method requires a policy to be accessed, but
        the sending domain does not publish any sender authentication
        policy.

What if the method doesn't require a policy be accessed?

Actually in light of that question, maybe we don't need "neutral" at all. For methods that have a policy, the verification attempt will produce one of the other results. For those that don't have some queryable policy, "neutral" never happens.

    temperror
> [...]

Works for me.

    permerror