Re: [mail-vet-discuss] Auth-Results issue #4 method=value values

2006-04-19 15:56:47
On 04/19/2006 17:42, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
Tony Hansen wrote:

How about:

 The authentication method has either an explicit (i.e. published
 by the sending domain) or implicit policy, but the policy being
 used doesn't require successful authentication of all messages
 from that domain, and the message failed the authentication tests.

    neutral
 The authentication method requires a policy to be accessed, but
        the sending domain does not publish any sender authentication
 policy.

What if the method doesn't require a policy be accessed?

Actually in light of that question, maybe we don't need "neutral" at all.
For methods that have a policy, the verification attempt will produce one
of the other results.  For those that don't have some queryable policy,
"neutral" never happens.

Actually for SPF, Neutral is a result.  If there is no policy information, the
result in None.  I think you do need Neutral.  It could be something like:

        The authentication method requires a policy to be accessed, but
        the sending domain does not publish any sender authentication
        policy or the result of the policy test should be treated as if they
        did not publish any sender authentication policy.

Here is the SPF definition for Neutral:

http://new.openspf.org/blobs/draft-schlitt-spf-classic-02.html#anchor8

Scott Kitterman