Re: [mail-vet-discuss] Auth-Results issue #4 method=value values

2006-04-19 15:11:53
Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
Tony Hansen wrote:
[...]

Works for me.

good

The other value definitions are different, but need to recognize that
not all authentication methods require policies. I'd suggest this
rewording:
    softfail
    The authentication method requires a policy to be accessed, but
    the policy does not require authentication of all messages from
    that domain, and the message failed the authentication tests

How about:

    The authentication method has either an explicit (i.e. published
    by the sending domain) or implicit policy, but the policy being
    used doesn't require successful authentication of all messages
    from that domain, and the message failed the authentication tests.

works for me :-)

    neutral
    The authentication method requires a policy to be accessed, but
        the sending domain does not publish any sender authentication
    policy.

What if the method doesn't require a policy be accessed?

Actually in light of that question, maybe we don't need "neutral" at
all.  For methods that have a policy, the verification attempt will
produce one of the other results.  For those that don't have some
queryable policy, "neutral" never happens.

Well, I've seen people who want to be able to say "X doesn't say
anything positive or negative for this message". That's the purpose of
neutral.

A related question is what value should be put in the headerspec for
failure situations? The identity has not been verified, so there's no
value to be put into the headerspec.

    temperror
[...]

Works for me.