[mail-vet-discuss] Re: Auth-Results issues? #7 section 4.1

2006-04-27 12:35:32
Getting back to this again...

Tony Hansen wrote:
In section 4.1, it says:

                Naturally then, users would not activate such a
   feature unless they are certain the header will be added by the
   receiving MTA that accepts the mail which is ultimately read by the
   MUA, and instances of the header added by foreign MTAs will be
   removed before delivery.

Where does it say that foreign A-Rs are to be removed? I don't see that
anywhere in the spec.

I didn't want to mandate such a thing, again for reasons along the lines of speed of adoption. Do you think that should be mandatory?

Later in section 4.1, it says:

   An MTA adding a header MUST add the header at the top of the message
   so that there is generally some indication upon delivery of where in
   the chain of handling MTAs the sender authentcation was done.

This actually places the A-R in the same category as a trace header, as
defined in [MAIL]. This should be mentioned.

If I get my way on ietf-dkim, there will be a way to specifically associate certain results with specific signatures. In that case I don't care where the A-R header goes, and this doesn't need to be labeled as a trace header.