Re: [mail-vet-discuss] New draft for review

2007-05-31 19:39:36
On second thought, wouldn't the MX for an address *be* a border MTA and thus part of the intended recipient's administrative domain?

Yeah. That's the place where the message hops from the senders's network to the recipient's network.

An intermediate MX could do any authentication it wants, but any A-R header it adds is not desirable by the receiving domain anyway.

Sorry, that's just wrong. My wife has an address at cornell.edu which forwards to an address here. Since I know the path that the mail takes from Cornell to here, if Cornell added a header and the message arrived via the known path, their header would be quite useful even though the message subsequently made an MX hop to get here. Ditto for my addresses at acm.org, ieee.org, etc. For SPF and other path authentication, an A-R from the previous MX would be greatly preferable to the alternative of parsing Received: headers.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for
Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://www.johnlevine.com, ex-Mayor
"More Wiener schnitzel, please", said Tom, revealingly.