Re: [mail-vet-discuss] New draft for review

2007-05-29 18:04:07
The other issue is that the MUA may be parsing that header only.  If
I have two accounts, one with example.com and the other with
example.net, each with a different provider, My MUA would trust the
mail.example.com and smtp.example.net identifiers.

I realize we're talking about vaporware here, but in the MUAs I use that
handle multiple accounts, there's already a bunch of per-account config.
Since an A-R: header is only useful if the path between the place where
it's applied and you is trustworthy, and that's specific to each account.
So the list of A-R: names has to be per-account, too.

It sounds like there will eventually need to be a way to communicate
the list of trustworthy identifiers to MUAs, but I think that'd have
to be a separate (and potentially much larger) project.

A reasonable first stab would be to make it default to the name of the
POP or IMAP server, or perhaps a simple mutation thereof.  I use this
mail service where the POP server is named something like
pop.mail.yahue.com, so if the default name were pop.mail.yahue.com or
maybe authres.pop.mail.yahue.com, that'd be pretty easy to set up and
to use.

R's,
John