[mail-vet-discuss] SHOULD the header be signed?

2007-12-03 11:00:03
This came up both at the last IETF and at this one, so I thought it worth opening up here once before I submit the draft to the area director.

Should the normative text in the draft specify that this header SHOULD be signed?

The point comes from someone who operates in an environment in which he doesn't necessarily want to trust that the border MTAs are properly removing forged A-R headers. This would mean there needs to be a shared or distributed secret between the border MTAs where the header is added and the clients where the header will be used. It also means I'd either have to reference a header signing/verifying mechanism or define one.

Some of the risk of this is mitigated by the AUTHRES ESMTP extension draft, but the time to implement there is going to be longer than the support for this header.

The hallway track at the last IETF and since was that the current draft's Section 8.1 (especially the last paragraph) provide sufficient discussion of this issue. I might change "posted" to "posted or shared".

What are the list's opinions?