Re: [mail-vet-discuss] SHOULD the header be signed?

2007-12-04 06:21:20
On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 18:00:45 -0000, Murray S. Kucherawy <msk(_at_)sendmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

This came up both at the last IETF and at this one, so I thought it worth opening up here once before I submit the draft to the area director.

Should the normative text in the draft specify that this header SHOULD be signed?

I might not go as SHOULD, but certainly the practice should be encouraged in suitable cases. These include

1. where the mail is to be sent further using SMTP (whether within the final delivery boundary or not - note that such boundaries are not always clearly recignised, even within their supposed borders).

2. As a particular case, when the mail is explicitly forwarded as in mailing lists, especially if the mailing list has altered the message in a manner which breaks the original signature.

But, as a corollarly, it should be stated that these headers SHOULD NOT be removed at boundaries in cases where they are covered by such a signature (I probably mean a signature that verifies correctly).

Note that I am speaking of headers that confirm a dkim signature here - I am not sure about headers that confirm other protocols.

Tel: +44 161 436 6131     Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: chl(_at_)clerew(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.