mharc-users

Re: Install Help

2002-10-13 14:16:01

Earl Hood wrote:

On October 13, 2002 at 08:02, Robert Steinmetz wrote:

* Upgrade perl, later version have the module as part of the standard
  distribution.

I am having trouble getting later versions to compile cleanly. I am investigating the problem.

What kind of system are you using?

It is a Suse Linux 6.1. I know it's old but it is our small office web server and we don't change the web site that often. Once I get the stuff I'm working on going I will probably migrate to a more current version. FWIW the problem I'm having with 5.6 and later versions is that pwent compiles but fails testing. I'm going to drop checking on it if the 5.00503 works ok. I'll deal with that pwent when I upgrade the system, if it's still a problem.

Is there a minimum version of Perl which is necessary for mharc?

I would like to have mharc run under Perl 5.004 (aka 5.4) or later.
However, as I noted in a response to another message of your's, I do
not test against older versions.

I wouldn't expect you to. I would suggest that you include a tested version note in the docs.

If the amount of work to support Perl versions before 5.6.1 is a
burden, I will not do it (unless I am sufficiently $motivated$ :-).
Currently, your problems have simple solutions, so I see no reason
why mharc cannot run under the version of Perl you are using: 5.005.

It appears that the earliest version mharc will run under is 5.00503, that appears to be the version where the File::Find convention changed. I may have missed something but I could not identify the FIle::Find module as an independent module on CPAN. I have every thing installed now after upgrading to the perl5.00503. I will keep in touch as I progress to see if this version has any problems.

--ewh

I can't say how much I appreciate your prompt, and helpful responses. I have been sending messages as I progress in hopes of helping your efforts in my somewhat limited way and preventing you form wasting any effort on my problems after I've solved them. I hope you find them useful. I also hope future users will find this exchange useful in the list archive.

--
Robert Steinmetz AIA
Principal