mharc-users

Re: re-generation question

2002-10-29 17:47:07
On October 28, 2002 at 11:50, Morgan Fletcher wrote:

In the transition of six years of old archives to mharc, I managed to
get some message fragments in the current mbox (2002-10) for one
list. Here's how one looks, in mhonarc:

http://www.birfield.com/archives/html/landcruisers/2002-10/msg03446.html

I've edited the 2002-10 file to get rid of as much of this "junk" as I
can. The hourly read-mail process doesn't remove these fragments from
the html or the search index. I've found that a 'make rebuild' is a
painful, 24-hour process for me. How can I re-generate just this
month's archives of that list, so that the fragments removed from
2002-10 are not present in html or the index?

Currently, there is not an easy way to do this.  Message deletion
is on my todo list, but I have not gotten around to do it.

Now, you could invoke mhonarc directly on the month archive to
remove the message, but the problem is you will not have all the
options mharc passes to it, so you may get "Unrecognized variable
..." errors.  You may have to do a 'make editidx MLISTS=<list-name>'
command afterwards (which still edits the entire list archive, but
it is at least faster than doing a rebuild).

A potential hack is to run the following command:

  ./bin/web-archive -verbose list-name >& cmd.out

Then look at cmd.out to see the command-line mharc uses to process
the the archive you want to delete the message from.  You can
then call mhonarc directly using the -rmm option to delete the message
and copy the command-line options captured in cmd.out so when
mhonarc edits the archive, you will get the proper formatting.

Note, this does not update the search index, but you may not care
if only deleted a few messages.

--ewh