mhonarc-users

Re: mhexternal.pl and application/vnd.* MIME types

1996-09-26 15:28:26
"Steven W. Eubanks" said:
I seem to have run into a snag trying to configure MHonArc (currently 1.2.2
with upgrade to 1.2.3 pending) to enable it to successfully handle MIME
attachments of the new 'application/vnd.*' content-type definition.  I've

mhonarc only handles wildcard definitions of the form (see mhreadmail.pl,
search 'MIMEFilter'):

    whatevertype/asubtype
    whatevertype/*

but not

    whatever/isa*

made the requisite MIMEFILTERS additions, but everytime I try to send an
application/vnd.* (eg: application/vnd.ms-excel)  MHonArc returns with a
"Could not process..." warning.  I'm thinking the filter code in
mhexternal.pl is unable to parse the '.' period in the content-type
definition; if I change both the mail client and  MHonArc configuration to
use a different content-type for that same MIME attachment, it works fine.
I've tried modifying the "Get content-type" portion of mhexternal.pl
without any success thus far.

Does anyone know if I'm heading in the right direction or have a fix for
this?  I've tried scanning the archive for similar problems, but at 64
bytes/sec it could be quite awhile.  ;-)

[Poor guy.  I get 130 bytes/sec when surfing in NASAs web pages :-)]

When I add to the resourcefile

<mimefilters>
application/vnd.ms-excel:m2h_external'filter:mhexternal.pl
</mimefilters>

Mhonarc 1.2.2 works as expected for me.  It creates a html file :

   Next is a application/vnd.ms-excel

   Works?

   pseudo application/vnd.ms-excel (realy a tcl script)

The where the last line points to 00000.bin

If you what mhonarc to write a file like vnd00001.vnd you must
(AFAIK) patch mhexternal.pl and add entries like that:

    %CTExt = (
        'application/vnd.ms-excel',                  'vnd',

    %CTType = (
        'application/vnd.ms-excel',              '??A vnd MS-Excel file??',

Hope this helps,
Achim

P.S.  It would be nice if one could specify a extention=.vnd, and
      description="bla bla" in mimefilterargs for the mhexternal.pl

TIA.  Cheers.

Steve