mhonarc-users

Re: Newbie Q? - Message Jumping

1996-11-14 15:24:17
Earl Hood said:
I've recently set up two mhonarc pages, on one of them (the one which
recieves considerably more traffic) I am seeing message numbers jumping
between 120-160 each time the cron runs.

I looked at your archive, and the message number jump increases
in size each time.  I noticed a pattern.  The message jump size
can be determined by checking how many messages get added to the
archive during each invocation of mhonarc.  Here is a list
of message of some message number jumps with the jump size and
the number of messages added during the add:

Number jump          jump size       # mesgs added
1458 -> 1574         116             9
1582 -> 1707         125             4
1710 -> 1839         129             6
1844 -> 1979         135             8
1986 -> 2129         143             5
2133 -> 2281         148             ...

If you will notice, if you add the jump size to the number of messages
added, that will give you the next jump size in the table.  At least
the problem is consistent.

The mhonarc version is not listed so I have to guess.  There was a bug
in v1.1* that produced this bug. See my original response to:
itsol(_at_)io(_dot_)com: