mhonarc-users

Re: creating alias for sendmail -> mhonarc

1997-05-16 12:14:41
      What do I have to put in /etc/aliases in order that I can subscribe
to a mailing list as 'the alias' and have mail go there to be auto-archived?
Assuming that this is possible, of course...

      I've tried:

tests:        "|/loc/bin/mhonarc -add -outdir /loc/www/lists/tests"

      But I get an error back from mail concerning 'unknown mailer error'...

Is the "unknown mailer error" message come back to the address
you send the message from, or is it what goes to postmaster.  Ie.
Errors from sendmail sent to postmaster/root may be more informative.

As a sanity check, it is always good to invoke the command
you plan to use in the aliases file from the command line.  You
can simulate the invocation as follows:

    cat somemessage | /loc/bin/mhonarc -add -outdir /loc/www/lists/tests

This should verify that at least the command is valid.

The other thing to check is file permissions.  Since "tests" is an
aliases, make sure /loc/www/lists/tests is writable by the UID
sendmail uses when invoking MHonArc.

Another thing to check for is to verify that your sendmail
configurationg recognizes the | character for invoking an external
program.  Another option is to run sendmail in debugging mode.
However, make sure to shut off debugging when done.