mhonarc-users

Re: Using mhonarc to archive an 'alias' based mailing list in multiuser environment

1997-12-18 10:13:38
I have found that this approach works very well on my Solaris 2.6
system.

The outdir is owned by daemon and all the files in the directory are
created by daemon, including the .monarc.db.  Using the sendmail that
comes with Solaris 2.6 I don't have the problem of multiple users trying
to update the files, sendmail does a setuid daemon before running the
program - no matter who sends the email message.

The only problem I had with this approach, is on a list with a lot of
messages in a short time, you can have problems with the lock file. The
bigger the list gets, the longer it takes to add a single message to the
list. So you could start getting bounced messages with errors like

ERROR: Unable to create /var/log/mail-arc/mail_admin/.mhonarc.lck after
10 tries

You can adjust the number of tires and time between tries to fix this.
however, with one list that I am using, I have decided to batch the
messages to avoid this problem.

Hope this helps.

Bill Stoltz
Computer Network Mgr
IDA

Ajith Narayanan wrote:

Has anyone done this ?

I am trying to do this with an alias setting ( _not_ a .forward as in
the examples given)

 foo:   "| /usr/local/bin/mhonarc -outdir /proj0/mail-archive/foo.webdir
-add -title foo -h
eader /proj0/mail-archive/foo.hdr -umask 0"

Well, it work as long as there is only one user.

The root of the problem I face is (extraneous to the scope of mhonarc)
that my sendmail tries to run the filter as the end-user, not as
daemon/system.  Also, my system is pretty picky about running setuids so
I temporarily abandoned the approach of making mhonarc run as a setuid
program...

Instead, I tried to use the -umask 0 on the mhonarc command line.

I get nasty messages from mhonarc saying:

"Can't create blahblah../msg00005.html" or some such.  When I peek,
there's already such a file belonging to another user and the mode is
rwx-r--r-- . No wonder.

 I haven't subscribed to the list, so kindly copy me in your response.
Thanks in advance.

--Ajith