mhonarc-users

Re: message body formatting

1998-01-16 02:09:41
At 11:52 15/01/1998 +0100, Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:

As I am sure many of you know, there exists a filter, txt2html.pl
http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~seth/txt2html/
that converts text to pretty good, structured HTML. And it has a mailmode,
which is very good.

Therefore, I would really appriciate if MHonArc started converting
messages, using for example txt2html, there will of course always be
messages that are not easily converted, and may not look very good.
The great majority of messages will on the other hand, be easily
converted, and will enhance the readability of messages. And those
messages that doesn't look good will still be readable. I have manually
converted lots of strange things, and I was impressed.
It may be a good idea to provide a switch to turn the converting off,
though.

There is one enhancement that needs to be done to the txt2html code
though, it needs some markup around quoted text. I thought the new HTML4
element Q would be great, but I'm not so sure about that anymore. It may
also be a good idea to insert   for each white-space in quoted text.

A few month ago I've been trying to do some improvement within txt2html
code to handle quotes and embedded quotations, things like :

you wrote :
he wrote :
Linux Hacker> they wrote
etc

As I'm not a perl hacker after some hours of unsatisfactory results
I gave up ;-(

But I will be no more than happy if someone else would get the job
done. I guess it's a bit messy to handle a wide enough range of cases.

Any Perl hacker (with some free time) out there ?

---
Bernard Frit
Bernard(_dot_)Frit(_at_)temperance(_dot_)com
---
LA TEMPERANCE  Edition Formation        http://www.temperance.com
tel:+33(0)4.73.94.27.76                 fax:+33(0)4.73.94.27.14
---
NLPTALK mailing list archives           http://nlptalk.home.ml.org
The NLP & Addictions home page          http://nlp-addict.home.ml.org