mhonarc-users

Re: Message board

1998-03-01 13:16:48
Peter,

I'm working on the same problem - integrating a listserver with a message
board.  However, I'm approaching it from the opposite direction.  I have a
listserver in place, and will be shortly trying to add message board capability
to the listserver.  The mailing list runs on an NT box under IMS.  I just
installed Mhonarc to generate web readable archives for the mailing list.  The
messages from the list are copied to another email account that serves as a
storage/archive center.  Turning this into a message board amounts to adding
links on the message pages for sending replies back to the mailbox - just to the
archive box via a CGI/sendmail script for people that are not members of the
mailing list - and a straight email link for members of the mailing list.  I
intend to set up a batch to run as a service occasionally to process the archive
mailbox into message pages.

I'd like to hear how to accomplish the goal on your system, and if you like, I
could let you know how my approach turns out.

Best,

Howard

Peter Bramlage wrote:

Hi,

I am new to MHonArc and there are some questions left after reading the
manual. I would appreciate if you could help me out.

What I have:
An account on a UnixServer with a
cgi directory,
ftp-access,
and two POP3 accounts,
no telnet account or listserver.
This account hosts my webserver.
The way things work now is that I have a messageboard on my site and people
can subscribe, so that every message gets sent to them. No possibility how
a reply can have access to the wwwboard.

What I would like to have:
Ability to access messages on the Web, that have been sent to one POP
account using MHonArc,
distribute messages via email to people who subscribe.
- Overall somehow a mixture of a messageboard on the web and a mailinglist -

What I think I should have:
Telnet access and a listserver ?
Is that right, or is there any other way to accomplish this.

Regards, Peter

--
Howard K. Schmidt, Ph.D.         mailto:hks(_at_)equex(_dot_)com