mhonarc-users

Re: mhonarc 2.2.0 archives

1998-04-15 19:13:41
On April, 15 1998 at 15:28, "Paul J. Sala" wrote:

In the near future I will convert all my 2.1.0 mail archives
to 2.2.0 archives with the -editidx option. (It's about 200
archives)

During the conversion process there will be a window where
some or all of the archives have been converted to 2.2.0 versions
and the mhonarc program has not yet been switched to version 2.2.0
yet. So in theory mail could be archived with mhonarc 2.1 into
a 2.2.0 archive.

Is this OK or safe?

Nope.  v2.2.0 has a different db format (related to MIME filters).
So v2.1 will probably choke on v2.2 archive.

Or would it be better to
 1. stop sendmail on the server
 2. make archive conversion
 3. switch mhonarc program to 2.2.0
 4. start sendmail on server

This is probably the safest route.  MTAs trying to connect may
time-out, but should queue the message and re-attempt delivery later.
Sendmail works this way.

        --ewh

----
             Earl Hood              | University of California: Irvine
      ehood(_at_)medusa(_dot_)acs(_dot_)uci(_dot_)edu      |      Electronic
Loiterer
http://www.oac.uci.edu/indiv/ehood/ | Dabbler of SGML/WWW/Perl/MIME