mhonarc-users

Re: msgid instead of seq. number for output files

1998-07-31 05:11:56
Earl Hood <ehood(_at_)hydra(_dot_)acs(_dot_)uci(_dot_)edu> typed:
:On July 30, 1998 at 14:25, Achim Bohnet wrote:
:> I've got a lot of messages in the archive that contain an
:> URL to other message in the archive (or others here).  Regrouping,
:> remove spam etc, would change the msg number used :-(   Msg-Id are
:> also much easier to use to do lookup of messages between the (sub)
:> archives of a mailing list.
:Note, I am confused anout some of what you said.  How would message
:numbers get changed?  The only way this can happen is if you
:recreate the archive from scratch.  And if this is what is done,
:there should be no problems?  Can you elaborate?

Perhaps something along these lines is meant:
Have messages 00001-01000.  Someone refers to message 00900 somewhere.
Lots of people get it.  Find out message 00500 was spam.  So delete it, eg.
% mhonarc -rmm 00500

message 00900 is now different.  Lots more people complain to you that the
wrong message is being referenced.

I suppose what's desired is a message name that's static for that message.
Whether this is a simple task to implement, well.... you know the code
better than us.
--
Geoff Wing   <gcw(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com>            Mobile : 0412 162 441
Work URL: http://www.primenet.com.au/   Ego URL: http://pobox.com/~gcw/