mhonarc-users

Re: msgid instead of seq. number for output files

1998-07-31 14:04:20
On July 31, 1998 at 09:17, Geoff Wing wrote:

Perhaps something along these lines is meant:
Have messages 00001-01000.  Someone refers to message 00900 somewhere.
Lots of people get it.  Find out message 00500 was spam.  So delete it, eg.
% mhonarc -rmm 00500

message 00900 is now different.  Lots more people complain to you that the
wrong message is being referenced.

I suppose what's desired is a message name that's static for that message.
Whether this is a simple task to implement, well.... you know the code
better than us.

If people refer to message archives by URLs to filenames, there
is little that can be done.  It is part of message data, and it would
be tough work to detect it, and then know what to do with it if
archives are rebuilt.

Users should always reference messages by message-id.  For example:

    Blah blah blah ...

    See
<9807310919(_dot_)AA32499(_at_)o09(_dot_)xray(_dot_)mpe(_dot_)mpg(_dot_)de> ...

The id I used in the example is a message Achim sent.  MHonArc should
hyperlink it (I hope).  And if the archive is recreated from scratch,
the hyperlink will be recreated.

        --ewh

----
             Earl Hood              | University of California: Irvine
      ehood(_at_)medusa(_dot_)acs(_dot_)uci(_dot_)edu      |      Electronic
Loiterer
http://www.oac.uci.edu/indiv/ehood/ | Dabbler of SGML/WWW/Perl/MIME