mhonarc-users

Re: hiding e-mail addresses

1998-08-25 13:29:55
On 25 Aug 1998 08:11:00 +0100
Hasan Karahasan, DJ2xt<h(_dot_)karahasan(_at_)pinneberg(_dot_)netsurf(_dot_)de>
wrote:

We'd like to hide any e-mail addresses to avoid robots to collect
them.  Using the <nomailto> resource does not exactly what we want,
because it generates no link to e-mails, but you will still find
them in the html source. I have tried to replace all @ symbols with
something else like # in the inbox before starting mhonarc. An email
is recognized by the q symbol and so this sould make a string not
being recognized as an address. But mhonarc becomes confused and
cannot handle the inbox.

I do it by post-processing the HTML files produced by MHonArc.  You
can find the relevant script at:

  URL:ftp://ftp.kanga.nu/pub/MHonArc/emailmunge

There are problems, as recently discussed on this list (see the
archives) with this approach however in that the named script will
also occassionally munge Message ID's which in turn will affect how
well MHonArc does its inter-message linking.

--
J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw(_at_)null(_dot_)net
(Contractor)                               Internet: coder(_at_)ibm(_dot_)net