mhonarc-users

RE: attachement zip/tar/tgz

1999-08-09 19:16:43
What I would like is, when an attachment is a .zip, .tar,
.tar.gz or something like that, that it is automatically
unpacked and placed in the "subdir", providing links to these
files in the mail archive.
I use the subsir option.

Would not many users have an application program for these types of
"archive" files configured to launch when their WWW browser downloads them?
I use WinZip on a PC for this and there are WinZip clones for Unix-like
systems, e.g. gxtar, tkarchive, tkzip.

There are at least three good reasons to keep the original composite/
compressed file intact:

- reduced download bandwidth and server storage space (even without
compression)
- preservation of permissions and timestamps after download
- only one file to download instead of many

-- SP