mhonarc-users

Re: Threading problem

2001-02-15 10:23:02

Stefan Probst writes:
- At 11:40 14.02.01 -0600, Eric Schnoebelen wrote:
- -------------------------
-
- >         Try the following:
- >
- >                 s/(|[rR][eE]:\s*)\[LIST\]\s*/\1/g
- >
- >         It should (and does in my tests) strip the [LIST] string
- >from the very begining of the string, and from (before|after)
- >the Re: prefix on follow ups..
-
- YES! It did it. Beautiful. Thanks a zillion!!!!
- Now I can work over my many lists ...
-
- Your regexp would definetly be worth to go into the MHonArc User
- Documentation!
-
- >  (sadly, it will strip out the
- >string [LIST] from the middle of the subject line as well.)
-
- That should be no problem at all. Who wanted to have something in the
- middle???

        I'm not going to comment on the habits of other users..
:-)

- Sometimes you'll get mail like
- Re: Re: [list] or
- Re(2): [list] or
- Re: Re(2): [list]
- I'll see, which one it catches. But if it's not 100%, this shouldn't be a
- major problem.

        It'll miss all of those.... No, I tell a lie, it'll work
on the first, but probably not the rest..

        The following will handle the cases above:

                s/(|[rR][eE]:\s?|[Rr][eE]\(\d+\):\s?)\[LIST\]\s*/\1/g

- >More work with the regexp would probably sufficiently
- >generalize it such that it would only pull the string out at he
- >beginning, or after a RE:, but I haven't taken the effort.. :-)
-
- If eMail Programs can't handle that properly, what do you expect ... ;)

        True.. I _think_ a small amount of work would make the
regexp collapse all of the nasty's above into a single `Re: ',
but, again, I haven't taken effort..  Maybe later.. :-)

--
Eric Schnoebelen                eric(_at_)cirr(_dot_)com
http://www.cirr.com