mhonarc-users

Re: Limiting Archive size

2001-07-04 17:25:21
On July 4, 2001 at 15:15, John Poltorak wrote:

BTW is there a guide to a reasonable number of msgs in an archive?

It depends on your systems capabilities, mainly availabe RAM.

Assuming this limit is 100, I'd like to convert my Majordomo archives
which are currently archived by month, to Mhonarc archives each of which
has 100 msgs. Given that there could be 1000 msgs in the June archive, how
would I split this into groups of 100 for Mhonarc, or can Mhonarc be
configured to switch to different outdirs after every 100 msgs?

MHonArc does not have the ability to switch between archives based
on any criteria.  This capability is typically done via a preprocessor.
Some custom modifications to mhonarc could be done to dump the number
of messages in the archive to a file that a preprocessor could read
to determine if when a new archive should be created.

I do not know what kind of system you are using, but 1000 messages per
archive should be okay.  If your concern is with the size of the index
pages created, you can use MULTIPG and IDXSIZE to make the index pages
more manageable for the reader.

I have looked at MAXSIZE and IDXSIZE but can't see that they would do what
I want. Have I overlooked something?

MAXSIZE sets the absolute maximum number of messages in an archive.
Once MAXSIZE is reached, oldest messages will be automatically deleted
as newer messages are added.  IDXSIZE controls the number of messages
listed on an index page.  It works best with MULTIPG.