mhonarc-users

Re: MHonArc and multi-byte characters in HTML

2001-10-06 04:25:29
On Thu, 04 Oct 2001, Earl Hood wrote:

I'm unsure how to deal with the string clipping issue with respect to
resource variables: e.g. $SUBJECT:72$.  I see this a fundamental issue
with Perl itself since there is no built-in string type that abstracts
this problem (like strings in Java) in a simple and efficient matter,
yet.  An approach that would ignore the problem but make sure nothing
bad happens is to change all default resources settings to not using
the clipping support in resource variables.  Therefore, any clipping
must be explicitly specified under the advisory of the problems that
multi-byte character encodings may cause.  I believe I will go make
this kind of change to default resource settings for v2.5.

the only effect would be on half a character, which is minimal
and would even indicate the variable had been clipped, so I
think disabling clipping in the case of multi-byte character
encodings would be a worse cure than the disease.

--
Greg Matheson                Autonomous language learning:
Chinmin College              My next project after overseeing