mhonarc-users

Re: Is there a way to have HeadBodySep not reinterpreted once a msg is issued?

2001-11-12 12:24:02
On November 11, 2001 at 13:15, Jason Molenda wrote:

<HeadBodySep>
[<a href="/cgi-bin/get-raw-msg?listname=$LIST-NAME$&date=$DATE-DIRNAME$&msgnu
m=$RAW-MSG-NUM$">Get raw message</a>]
<hr>
</HeadBodySep>
A concrete example.  Mhonarc archive message msg00713.html corresponds to
raw message #15; msg00714.html to #16; msg00715.html to #17.  Mhonarc
receives a new message, which it writes to msg00716, and $RAW-MSG-NUM$ is
set to "18".  Mhonarc writes msg00716.html correctly, but it also touches
msg00715.html and msg00714.html to update their links -- and in doing so,
re-generates the HeadBodySep with a $RAW-MSG-NUM$ of "18" in all of them.

Any suggestions?  Is there a part of the message where I can be sure the
existing variables won't be reinterpreted when the message is touched or
something?

Use the message-ID.  I.e. Have the link reference a CGI program that
is given the message-ID, and any other relevant arguments, and the
CGI program resolves the message-ID to the raw mail message.

This kind of setup is what Achim does with his archives at
<http://www.xray.mpe.mpg.de/mailing-lists/>.

There are other solutions that would require changes to MHonArc.
I can elaborate on possibilities if you are interested in exploring
this route.