mhonarc-users

[approved] Re: db and indexes not being udpated with -add

2002-10-17 21:01:56
On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 08:16:31PM -0500, Earl Hood wrote:

Since you are redirecting the output to /tmp/out_external_archiver,
did any errors show up related to permissions?

Nothing indicating a permissions error.

Where does stderr go?

Why, the bit-bucket of course.  :-)  I didn't think to see if there
was any stderr as I thought it was a logic bug preventing the index
files from being updated.  I know, I know, never attribute to code
bugs that which can be explained by administrator-error.  :-)

The '>>' will only catch stdout.

You are right.

You may
want to add '2>&1' at the end of the command so stderr is captured
with stdout.

Perhaps.  I don't think I want that file growing during regular
operation anyway.

BTW, if your lists have significant traffic or will get large
over time,

Not likely for a small-town LUG, but worth remembering...

I recommend separating the archiving from Mailman so it
can be managed separately.

How come?

Maybe use a approach advocated by
mharc, <http://www.mhonarc.org/mharc/>.

Specifically, to subscribe the archiver to the list and have MHonArc
process messages as a recipient rather than with the -add?  I have
looked at mharc only very briefly this evening because I like the look
and feel of the MHonArc list archive and was interested in duplicating
it.  But another day perhaps.  :-)

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell