mhonarc-users

Re: spam-proofing my mhonarc archive

2003-02-17 12:09:19
Another idea.

Use .htaccess to protect the archive and put the username and password in a
onclick=javasript:alert link to the archive. Should stop automatic eamil
harvesting without munging the archive email addresses (and redoing the
archive).

Example:
http://www.psmfc.org/~wade/dodge/#reference

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Stosberg" <mark(_at_)summersault(_dot_)com>
To: <mhonarc-users(_at_)mhonarc(_dot_)org>
Sent: Saturday, February 15, 2003 3:37 PM
Subject: Re: spam-proofing my mhonarc archive

On Sat, 15 Feb 2003, Earl Hood wrote:

On February 15, 2003 at 12:37, Mark Stosberg wrote:

1. Protect .mhonarc.db
First, I noticed that my ".mhonarc.db" was web-visible, and it
contained a handy list of e-mail addresses that could be grabbed by a
e-mail harvester. My first task was to move this out of web-space.
Mhonarc no
supports this directly. I just had to move the file, and update my
.qmail file to add

-dbfile /path/to/new/.mhonarc.db

The FAQ mentions about .mhonarc.db.  Also, in v2.6.0, the file
permissions for .mhonarc.db are no longer world readable, by default,
and can be controled by the DBFILEPERMS resource.

Thanks for the response Earl.

I thought about using file permissions, but I'm using the SuExec
configuration with apache, so the the user running mhonarc and the user
running the webserver are the same.

  Mark

--
http://mark.stosberg.com/