mhonarc-users

Re: spam-proofing my mhonarc archive

2003-02-17 12:35:47
On Mon, 17 Feb 2003, Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:

Personally I have replaced all mailto links on web sites with links to
contact forms. I have also started to use a 'noreply' address (which
normally is forwarded to /dev/null) when posting to mailing lists and
Usenet groups where there is a big risk for harvesting by the spam bots.
Instead I provide a contact form link like the one below. Unfortunately
this is not (yet) common practice. :)

Here's another simple trick for protecting addesses, "the m script". You can
install a
simple script (example below), so that an address like this:

http://host.com/cgi-bin/m/marka(_at_)afoo(_dot_)com

This creates a valid mailto: link for mark(_at_)foo(_dot_)com(_dot_)
I like this solution because it's "user friendly" in the sense the users
are presented with adddresses they can use directly without further
decoding. It's also easy to update the pattern replacement to be
even harder to guess for the robots.

        Mark

   Mark Stosberg            Principal Developer
   mark(_at_)summersault(_dot_)com     Summersault, LLC
   765-939-9301 ext 202     database driven websites
 . . . . . http://www.summersault.com/ . . . . . . . .

 ######
 #!/usr/bin/perl
 use strict;