mhonarc-users

RE: mhastart.pl errors

2004-03-24 20:40:08
Yes. It's because the command executed through the 'Add' button
does not include the -rcfile option. To have mhonarc read
rcfile.txt, and update the archive database with its settings,
you can enter this in the "Other MHonArc command" field:

    mhonarc -editidx -rcfile $mrc -outdir $archive

Ahh, ok. Alternatively, could I modify the 'Add' option to include
the "-rcfile $mrc" command-line options?

There is no need to. Once saved in the archive database, your resource
file settings will be applied when adding new messages. You need the
-rcfile option only when you want to change a resource.

Gunnar,

We're getting there, bit by bit. :)

Two things:
1) Because the command line attempts to invoke "mhonarc -editidx -rcfile
$mrc -outdir $archive" but the programname is "mhonarc.pl", I get an error
that "mhonarc" could not be found. If I used "mhonarc.pl  -editidx -rcfile
$mrc -outdir $archive", then I was getting the error "That wasn't a MHonArc
command, was it?".

In order to get the above command line to run, I had to modify the following
line in the routine "sub shell":
from:
   if ($command eq 'mhonarc' or $command =~ /^mha-d/) {
to:
   if ($command eq 'mhonarc.pl' or $command =~ /^mha-d/) {

After this change, the commandline worked, and the rcfile changes were
instituted into the test archive (not my live archive - see #2 below)
successfully.

2) More importantly, I have an existing archive and I wanted to use mhastart
to 'Add' future messages (via POP3). When I test this by 'Add'ing a new
message, it is acting as if the current archive (1000+ msgs) doesn't exist
and overwrites the mhonarc.db, maillist.html, and threads.html.
Additionally, the newly created htmls do not include the rcfile formatting
that was present in the existing archive. But the files are in the correct
directory, so I don't know why it doesn't see the existing archive, and
simply appending the new msgs.

Creating another directory, I can create and append POP3 msgs to a test
archive using 'Add's. Also I can modify the rcfile formatting and the
changes are retained.

I'm not sure why it has a problem with the existing archive. The permissions
all appear to be OK. The only difference I can see is that the mbox file for
the existing archive starts as an empty (zero-byte) file, so maybe it
thinking the archive must therefore be empty? I dunno.

For what its worth, mhastart reports:
This is MHonArc v2.6.8, Perl 5.006 linux

Thanks,
Tim