Re: Query about namazu installation & use

2001-07-12 05:32:44
On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, sandeep rao wrote:

a) A query regarding the installation & use of the namazu : Can we
install the namazu on one unix server by comiling the relevent
sources & then copy "The Necessary File" to another (i.e. second)
Unix server. & use Namazu for searching on the second server?

You can do this, if the two unix hosts (not servers) are binary
compatible.  ie, binaries of one will run on the other.  If both are the
same flavour of unix, then you have no problem.  If they are different,
then you will have to use a cross compiler.

eg.  If you have two linux boxes running compatible versions of glibc,
then you can compile on one box, and just copy to the other.
otoh, if you have a linux box and a solaris box, then you either have to
compile separately on each, or use a cross compiler (some gcc versions
can do this) on linux to compile for solaris, and then copy the solaris
binaries to solaris.  The solaris binaries will not work on linux.

if yes can somebody identify the "necessary" files.

all files installed in $prefix/{bin, lib, libexec, share}

your best bet is actually to set prefix to a non-standard path (eg
$HOME/usr) and then just copy that entire directory over.

b) Is there any api for the use of namazu with Java? or do we need
to make system calls to run the Namazu command.

Not that I know of, but there is a perl API.  Perl is better than java
anyway :) <grin>

c) Does Namazu provide any access control along with the indexing.
i.e. suppose my website has two set of users one the casual surfer

That's not really the job of a search engine, but by using different
paths, you could simulate this to some extent.  You'd still have to make
sure that only the right people can access the right paths.  See
.namazurc and the docs.

Philip