Re: MH 6.8.4 on Linux

1996-02-19 16:16:35
Brian Exelbierd  writes:

seems to me, we could work towards more compatible code.  POSIX or
some such.

Exactly!  The only reason MH needs a patch to run on Linux is because
it mucks about inside the FILE structures, something I consider a
MAJOR kludge.

YES!  YES!  YES!  Over the years I have compiled MH for at least 5
different unix versions and I have always had problems.  Usually,
they have to do with differences in the FILE structure.  There may
have been a time when the speed of direct manipulation was important,
but the cost in portability is too high.

We need to replace any MH code that mucks about inside FILE.  I
would be happy to help in this.

Mentioning the contrib directory makes me wonder if we could move
towards slimming down the mh distribution .... does anyone use all
the stuff.  can we just have the majority stuff included and let
people ftp in their own copy of less if they need it.

I agree with this as well.  Well-supported packages such as less
shouldn't be bundled in.  Give pointers to such things instead and let
people choose to download them.

Agreed.  And another beef, sending mail is the resposibility of the
MTA, not the MUA.  MH should not try to speak SMTP accross the net,
only to the local MTA.  I suspect that there is a lot of deadwood in
the code tree that is no longer used, or is used by less than 5% of
the MH community.

-David Paigen