Re: MH 6.8.4 on Linux

1996-02-19 16:11:02
David Paigen <paigen(_at_)forte(_dot_)org> writes:
Agreed.  And another beef, sending mail is the resposibility of the
MTA, not the MUA.  MH should not try to speak SMTP accross the net,
only to the local MTA.  I suspect that there is a lot of deadwood
in the code tree that is no longer used, or is used by less than 5%
of the MH community.

Ted Nolan SRI Ft Gordon
<ted(_at_)ags(_dot_)ga(_dot_)erg(_dot_)sri(_dot_)com> writes:
Ack! No!  I always set up MH across all our machines to post to a
sendmail on a central server.  Don't make me run sendmail
everywhere!

How does MH deliver mail today?  Does it use /bin/mail, pipe into
sendmail, or talk SMTP directly to an MTA?

What it _should_ do, is talk SMTP directly to an MTA.  That would
remove dependencies on particular programs, and ease the portability
across OS'es.  Also, from the client side, SMTP deserves the
"Simple"...