nmh, qmail, redhat

1998-02-20 19:14:55
Thanks for the help I got.  I succeded installing nmh (made an rpm) but in the
process I deleted some of the messages from my inbox including the
replies from this list.

I thought I mention ask the following:

1) I think it would be good to mention in INSTALL (or MACHINES) that
   at least on redhat Linux 5.0 one needs to configure as

LIBS=-lgdbm ./configure

2) To be able to use nmh with qmail one needs to do
   a) use --with-mts=sendmail
   b) After make run the script
   (
    cd zotnet/mts
    sed -e 's}^mmdfldir: /var/spool/mail}mmdfldir:}' \
    -e 's}^mmdflfil:}mmdflfil: Mailbox}' mts.conf
    > mts.conf.new
    mv mts.conf.new mts.conf
    )
    or set MAILDROP=~/Mailbox
    c) put in .mh_profile:
    postproc: /usr/local/nmh/lib/spost

3) Though I have a components file in my MhMail directory, it is not
   used by Emacs since I put
       (setq mh-comp-formfile "/usr/local/nmh/etc/components")
   in .emacs as suggested by the FAQ.  Of course, I can direct Emacs
   to the right components file, but this does not seem to be flexible
   approach for a sysadm.  So how do I fix mh-e so that it first
   searches for components in ~/MhMail *then* in /usr/local/nmh/etc/
   without users putting anything in their .emacs.
4) While compiling, I got the message
   make[2]: Entering directory
   `/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/nmh-0.21/zotnet/tws'
   flex -nt ./dtimep.lex | sed -f ./lexedit.sed > dtimep.c
   LEX FAILED: using pre-lexed dtimep.c
   Though I did after running configure

    (
        cd zotnet/tws
        sed -e 's}^LEX = lex}LEX = flex}' Makefile > Makefile.new
        mv Makefile.new Makefile
    )

    as it was advised somewhere (in configure?).
    Does this have serious consequences somewhere?
5) When I did my first inc I got
   inc: BUG: calling folder_realloc with lo > mp->lowmsg
   but this message never appeared again.

6) I now try to see if nmh works with exmh.  Is anything I should set?

7) I am really glad to see somebody is developing/maintaining a mail
system compatible with mh.  The mh coming with redhat Linux/GNU has
a serious (and I was told known to the mh team) bug in it: each comp
increases the index of the draft file in the drafts folder.  That is:

    comp; send -> draft1
    comp; send -> draft2
    comp; send -> draft3

I was up to draft471, and I had no idea what to do!
But with nmh, all is well.

8) In the TODO I read two plans which I would really welcome to be
   realized: one is to have Maildir support, the other is to spawn the
   editor only for writing the body of the message, but using propmter
   to fill out the header.

Thanks again,

Mate
---
Mate Wierdl | Dept. of Math. Sciences | University of Memphis