Re: what's happening?

2002-05-30 12:30:09
If you think that it's _that_ important to have correct date handling for
non-standard timezones that don't even seem to be used anymore ...

They are still used.  I still get mail from Japanese colleagues with the JST
timezone.  I'm sure I could find current instances of the other
no-longer-functioning zones as well, if I looked for them.

You mean, without a timezone offset?  (+0900, or whatever Japan is).  If
it's in parenthesis, it's just a comment, so it shouldn't matter.  I haven't
seen any mail from the people I know in Japan without a proper timezone offset
in a long time.  I'm more concerned about nmh not handling current mail,
and an informal survey I did of my inbox showed that with the exception of
spam I haven't seen a malformed Date header in a while.  If there is lots
of email out there that don't have timezone offsets in the Date header, I'd
be interested in hearing about it.

other than to point out that opimizing nmh behavor for _old_ mail seems to
be self-defeating.

Who said anything about *optimizing* it for old mail?  I just want it to
still work properly on old mail.  I don't think a small increase in
portability is worth removing long-standing and important functionality.

I guess we have different definitions of "work properly", "small increase",
and "important functionality".  Oh well.