Re: locking rcvstore?

2002-07-10 08:53:05
From:  Neil W Rickert <rickert+nmh(_at_)cs(_dot_)niu(_dot_)edu>
Date:  Wed, 10 Jul 2002 10:16:03 -0500

Chris Garrigues <cwg-dated-1026680372(_dot_)be6ae8(_at_)DeepEddy(_dot_)Com>
wrote:

I always call rcvstore with this wrapper:

#!/bin/bash

and it would be nice if it weren't needed.

I'm not convinced that it is needed.

The only risk is that your sequences might be corrupted.  I prefer
that to the problems caused by stuck locks.

*might*?

I wrapped it because I get enough mail in some mailboxes that it was
guaranteed that I would get corrupted sequences on a daily basis.  I've never
had a problem with stuck locks since I started using that wrapper several
years ago.

I'm curious why some people have such a strong aversion to locking mailboxes?

Chris

--
Chris Garrigues                 http://www.DeepEddy.Com/~cwg/
virCIO                          http://www.virCIO.Com

  World War III:  The Wrong-Doers Vs. the Evil-Doers.