Re: locking rcvstore?

2002-07-12 08:24:05
Michael Richardson <mcr(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ottawa(_dot_)on(_dot_)ca> wrote:

 Aside from trashing sequences (which I've experienced on occasion, no idea
why)
 I've run into situations where I wind up doing an "inc" from two difference
sources into the same folder. Usually due to impatience on my part.

As far as I know, "inc" does to file locking, at least when writing
to the standard unix mailbox.

 The result was a mess of two processes using the same message numbers!

That should not be possible.  I haven't looked at the code.  But it
should be opening the file with "O_CREAT", which should fail if the
message already exists.

Unless there are major code deficiencies, creating new messages
should depend on the atomicity of unix file creation.  No additional
locking should be required.  That is supposed to be one of the
benefits of one message per file.

 -NWR