Re: nmh and tcl

2002-07-25 11:47:30
From:  Neil W Rickert <rickert+nmh(_at_)cs(_dot_)niu(_dot_)edu>
Date:  Thu, 25 Jul 2002 13:23:45 -0500

Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)cmf(_dot_)nrl(_dot_)navy(_dot_)mil> wrote:

It is the accessibility of command line tools that makes nmh so
powerful.  It is already in the 21st century, although a little buggy
in spots.

Oh, I agree ... but I don't think NEW features that don't remove or dimini
sh
the command-line tools functions are necessarily bad.

I don't have any problem with that.

I certainly wasn't proposing that the existing command line functions go away
by any means, but as an exmh developer, I think we could do a lot for exmh
performance by more tightly integrating mh and tcl.

I had although thought issues like running a tcl script instead of replcomps
like Ken mentioned although I didn't mention it in my original message.

I say this as someone who doesn't actually like tcl much as a language, but
since it's what exmh uses and is also intended for this kind of purpose, I
thought it was an interesting idea.

Of course, I also know where I sit on the Venn diagram of "people with cool
ideas" and "people with ability/time", so I'm just trying to stir a few
creative juices.

Chris

--
Chris Garrigues                 http://www.DeepEddy.Com/~cwg/
virCIO                          http://www.virCIO.Com

  World War III:  The Wrong-Doers Vs. the Evil-Doers.