Re: nmh-agent? (was "nmh and tcl")

2002-07-25 14:41:19
I had meant for this reply to go to the list, but wasn't paying
attention. ;-)

The problem is, I want *some* folders to be on my imap server.  I
want some local.  And I want to download some mail from some imap
servers, some pop servers (actually, SSL pop/imap servers), and some
local spool files.  I considered the hack "+folder(_at_)imap" or
something icky, but haven't really had a good thought on this.

Hmmm..  I think we want to stay away from changing the syntax of
folders.  Rather, let the agent handle the caching of folders through
an alias of some kind.  I.e. Let's say I connect to two differnet IMAP
servers; one connection I've aliased as "bob", and one as "alice".
The agent would hold the imap://user(_at_)password:host:port information
for each server and bind it to the "bob" and "alice" folders.  Folder
access could simply be "+bob/inbox" and "+alice/inbox".  The agent
would have to figure out a way to store cached info w/o clobbering
info from another agent.  Perhaps the cached mail folder is actually
~/Mail/.nmh-agent_hostnameforbob/ and
~/Mail/.nmh-agent_hostnameforalice/.

If I'm going to bust my behind doing this, I want to do it "right".

Absolutely!  Wouldn't have it any other way.

Have you (Chad) any sort of specification on what you've been
thinking about?

Not really.  See my brainstorm above. ;-)

Of course, if I WERE to embed an interpreter into nmh, it would be
perl. . . ;-)

Perl, huh?  We all have our own skeletons, I guess. ;-)

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie(_at_)wookimus(_dot_)net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie