Re: Using web browser mail agent as nmh message viewer

2002-07-30 09:01:06
On July 30, 2002 at 04:31, Jerry Peek wrote:

This is why I chose Mozilla's mail agent: it can take a whole multipart
message and show all of it at once.  (Mozilla is also more forgiving of
some poorly-encoded messages that nmh complains about and quits.)  I
don't *always* need to see multipart messages in one window, so I have
that "smoz" script for displaying messages in the cases where I need
that behavior.  I haven't found an easy way to do that with the nmh
pager, which splits the message into its parts before handing each part
to a viewer.

Something you may want not realize is that mozilla supports rendering
message/rfc822 data directly in the browser.  I.e.  If the browser
receives a media-type message/rfc822, it will render it directly.

The only major problem is that it will not handle any external
attachments when rendering the data in the browser window.

For files read from disk, I use the extension ".822" to denote
a message/rfc822 file.  I then had to add the following in the
mime.types file:

  message/rfc822 822

--ewh

One other reason I like to use the command-line interface first: a lot
of the messages I get are just spam, and that gets obvious as soon as
nmh shows me the first part.  If I *don't* automatically use a whizzy
HTML viewer, I can abort (by typing \^) as soon as I see that I don't
want to read the message; it's quick and simple, and it doesn't allow
web beacons or other spammers' tricks in the message to take effect.

That said, I've learned some interesting stuff from other peoples'
ideas of handling this problem.  Thanks, all...

Jerry
--
Jerry Peek, jpeek(_at_)jpeek(_dot_)com, http://www.jpeek.com/