Re: Why not document dcc:?

2003-07-01 11:30:08
On July 1, 2003 at 07:47, Jerry Peek wrote:

A lot of us use the "dcc:" header field.  It acts like "bcc:" does on
most other MUAs.  Is there any reason not to add a paragraph about it to
the send(1) manpage?

My Linux box is down right now, so I can't check this out, but here's a
new paragraph.  (I guess "Dcc:" works as well as "dcc:", which is what I
use... but I'm not sure.)  I'll include the existing "Bcc:" paragraph --
which, I think, the dcc info should follow:

----- snip ------

If a "Bcc:" field is encountered, its addresses will be used for
delivery, and the "Bcc:" field will be removed from the message sent to
sighted recipients.  The blind recipients will receive an entirely new
message with a minimal set of headers.  Included in the body of the
message will be a copy of the message sent to the sighted recipients.

If a "Dcc:" field is encountered, its addresses will be used for
delivery, and the "Dcc:" field will be removed from the message.  The
blind recipients will receive the same message sent to the sighted
recipients.

----- snip ------

Comments?  Votes?

+1

Including the additional note about the dangers of using dcc.
Personally, I use dcc when copying myself and bcc when copying
someone else.  I personally dislike the bcc behavior of other MUAs
since they provide no indication to the receipient that they have
received a blind-carbon copy.  I think the bcc behavior of MH/nmh
is what all MUAs should do.

Related comment: It may be worth considering making bcc MIME aware.
I.e. Have an option that for Bcc addresses, the mail message is wrapped
in a message/rfc822 media-type.  This will be useful for bcc messages
that are mime encoded.  If I remember correctly, if you bcc a mime
message, the bcc wrapping screws up the mime encoding.

--ewh