Re: Why not document dcc:?

2003-07-01 08:31:12
Robert Elz wrote:
... I would include a sentence or two about the risks of using dcc
when really sending a bcc (as opposed to a cc to myself).

Perhaps something like

        Note that the users listed in the dcc field receive no explicit
        indication that others who received the message are not aware that
        a copy was sent to them.  This can cause blind recipients to
        inadvertently reply to all of the sighted recipients of the
        original message, revealing that they received a blind  copy.
        On the other hand, a normal reply to a message sent via a bcc field
        will generate a reply only to the sender of the original message,
        it takes extra effort in most mailers to reply to the included
        message, and so would usually only be done deliberately, rather
        than by accident.

Or perhaps an abbreviated version of that...

Hmmm... we wouldn't want to actually *explain* anything in a manpage, would we? ;-) Seriously, that extra info looks good to me. We might be able to do without the last sentence, though; I think people will figure it out pretty quickly.

Jerry
--
Jerry Peek, jpeek(_at_)jpeek(_dot_)com, http://www.jpeek.com/